Read Pages 264 – 270 (in PDF), Topics for Critical Thinking and Writing. Answer 1 to 4. (Question 4: word count should be 150-words)
Read Pages 492 – 493 (in PDF), Exercise: Fallacies or not? Name the fallacies. 1 to 16.
Please define/explain the following terms/concepts
- How does the book define the Author’s Purpose? Explain their reasoning. worth 5 points
- Define the Toulmin Model. List its six steps as well. worth 7 points
- Provide the book’s definition for The Author’s Methods. Explain their reasoning. worth 5 points
- Define the strawman fallacy. Please provide an example of a strawman argument. Here is the thesis: To excel in college, you will need to attend to every class; do all your reading before you go; write multiple drafts of each assignment and review your notes for each lecture. Worth 5 points
- Apply 4 of the 7 author’s methods to Tina Fey’s essay, “Confessions of a Juggler.” (A-G) Provide textual evidence to support your responses. Explain your reasoning for each response. (3 sentences minimum per response)worth 20 points
The Author’s Methods:
- Does the writer quote authorities? Are these authorities competent in this field?
- Does the writer use statistics? If so, who compiled them, and are they appropriate to the point being argued?
- Does the writer build the argument by using examples or analogies? Are they satisfactory?
- Are the writer’s assumptions acceptable?
- Does the writer consider all relevant factors? Has he or she omitted some points that think should be discussed?
- Does the writer seek to persuade by means of ridicule? if so, is the ridicule fair: Is it supported by rational argument?
- Is the argument aimed at a particular audience?
Is this the question you were looking for? Place your Order Here